It's all about me

Friday 12 March 2010

February Festivities

* GONG XI FA CAI *

This year was the first time in many years that I didn't spend Chinese New Year with the Chinese side of my family in Singapore. As they were all coming down to KL in the weeks to follow, Mum decided that a family CNY this year was not compulsory. So... I jumped at the opportunity to top-up my Vitamin D in-take and planned a getaway to the sea-side with some close mates. I don't think I'd been this pale for a long while !

The regime would be the same : eat.drink.sleep.swim.float.be.silly.repeat (in no particular order)

I also took the opportunity to take loads of nice pix... and by loads i mean about 300 over 3 days (excessive, yes)

Any of you out there Enid Blyton readers? Remember the MAGIC FARAWAY TREE ? It would make a great 3D movie, along the lines of Alice In Wonderland


Remember MOONFACE?



Well we bumped into him - it was his first time in SE Asia!


This is what happens to drift wood that is left to brave the elements on a beach...

We made a friend from the sea... a baby octopus! At the top of the picture you'll notice a small blue & white pot that just about covers the diameter of regular 1litre sized bottle of water. Well, my friend noticed this tiny pot floating in the sea. Upon investigation of said pot, he found this baby Octopus had made its home of it!

PLEASE NOTE : We teased the baby octobus into the bottle for closer inspection and later released it into its natural habitat ie. the sea. No living creature was harmed :)

When you are vertically challenged (ie. short like me) you gotta try out taking shadow pix like this one... makes me feel lanky & tall, albeit a little disproportionate!


Some of my favourite sunset pictures from this trip are coming up next :

My beach Posse

Charlie's Angels EAT-UR-HEART-OUT
Moving Silhouettes


Serenity

Sunset Soliloquy

* A Golden Celebration 27 February 1960-2010 *

The big highlight of 2010 for me has to be Mum & Dad's 50 year Wedding Anniversary. The whole family have been busy preparing for the black-tie party celebrations marking this massive achievement.

Those of you who are active twitterers / tweeters will have seen the (in)famous hashtags for non other than Rais Yatim : #yorais. Yes there were many a #yorais comments reflecting some of his archaic train of thoughts, one of which was relevant to our celebrating Mum & Dad's 50 year anniversary.

In short he was quoted to have said that mixed race marriages are more often than not UNSUCCESSFUL. Well here is one that IS SUCCESSFUL...

All tables were named after songs... my table was :

L-R
Mum's youngest sister & her husband, Mum's other sister & her husband, Mum & Dad


Dad & his Indot girls (L-R, Me, my cousin, my sis)

It was a magical night with the ages of guests ranging from their 20s to... well, mum & dad's vintage and as expected it was an evening of filled with stories of Mum & Dad's journey together over the last 50 years.

Imagine a wedding reception, but 50 years on : after all guests were seated, Mum and Dad were led into the room by my nephews & niece to the classical sounds of a string quartet with a solo alto voice ; there was a 9min video montage (put together BRILLIANTLY by evenodds) ; there were speeches given by close friends, family and my bro, sis & me. An evening of laughter, dancing, lots of love & entertainment provided by my nephews, niece and me :).

Our MC for the night was non other than Datuk Yasmin Yusuff (a product of yet another long-lasting mixed marriage!). Here's a little known fact : I affectionately refer to Datuk Yasmin as 'Mummy' seeing as she played my Mum in my music video for 'Little Girls'. See if you can spot her :



I'd love to give you more detail and post up more photos but it was a private & intimate affair, hope u all understand!

I will end by saying that I feel truly blessed to have the ultimate role models in life with regards to everything : commitment, discipline, morals, integrity, friendship & love.

Most can only dream of meeting their soulmate let alone achieve such a long-lasting relationship with them.

I LOVE YOU MUM & DAD

Next post otw : Twinkies presents Cat Got Your Tongue with SalahWrong @ Palate Palette

1 comment:

Eeleen Lee said...

I remember Enid Blyton too, ahh such easy days....