It's all about me

Wednesday 14 July 2010

Wireless Festival Hyde Park Day#3

Day 3 of Wireless, the last day of this great festival in Hyde Park was always going to see the largest park in London packed to its full capacity. With Jay-Z headlining and closing the event, would you expect anything less? Beyonce, Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow, Prince Harry were said to be there to catch the man too.
Day 3 Wireless started incredibly late and I was gutted to miss out on a half hour set by Slash - I heard he did 'Sweet Child O'Mine'. I'm not sure I can forgive myself for missing that *sniff* :'(

Nonetheless we got there in time to set up base camp (again) and catch the very Bri'ish Lily Allen whom I thoroughly enjoyed. She definitely injects a lot of energy into her already catchy and literary songs. She dedicated her song F**K YOU (which also happens to be one of my favourites) to the idiotic people in the the crowd who were tossing full bottles of drink in the air. *YOBS* & *PLEBS* are two words that come to mind

It was altogether a chillier day, so Nads & I lapped up the last rays of sunshine
With sunset fast approaching we managed to bump into several Malaysians which we were dumbfounded by - if you have any idea how large Hyde Park is, you will agree that was quite a feat. Our group grew to about 12 people - we were definitely representing Malaysia that day : ha!

For reasons I shall not mention, I didn't end up taking many photos that day - I guess I just really wanted to soak it all in - but I did manage to catch a brill picture of the horizon over the crowd's heads on my blackberry. I love the way the sunlight shimmers over the heads
As the sun lowered, the clouds gathered and the temperature plummeted. Thank Gosh the rain held off but it did feel rather nippy standing out there waiting for Mr Beyonce to start. But once the countdown appeared on the screens you could feel the pent up energy within the crowd start to simmer....
JAY-Z !!!
The view from where Mr Shawn Carter is standing
He obviously played all his hits past and present and even invited Mr Hudson up to perform 'Forever Young'... I was hoping he might call up is lovely wife... but alas no

The highlight of the night for me; the moment when the state of my freezing body ceased to matter was when the musical intro of Empire State of Mind commenced....
and everybody cheered. When Jay-Z got to the chorus he got his band to cut out and all you could hear was what seemed to be every voice in Hyde Park singing :

"New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there's nothing you can't do...."

The lyrics of this fantastic song reverberating above the trees

I'm so grateful to have been able to experience it. One can only dream of how it feels to be on that stage listening to thousands of people sing the song you wrote back to you under a summer's night sky

*Hair-raising*

( all today's pix taken on my blackberry)

No comments: