It's all about me

Friday 21 January 2011

A Male Duck

Drake.

Not a word I've cared much about in the past nor taken much notice of.

Simply reminds of English Language gender lessons...

A female Ox is a COW.
A male Ox is a BULL.

A female chicken is a HEN.
A male chicken is a COCKEREL.

A female duck is a duck or HEN.
A male duck is a DRAKE.

But ever since Drake the hip hop artist hit the music scene, the smallest appearance or utter of the word grabs my attention.

I love his debut album that dropped last year : Thank Me Later : especially for its downbeat vibe and sparse soundscape. Stand out track for me is FIREWORKS featuring the one and only Alicia Keys.

What hooked me with Drake? His poetry... lyrical skills but most of all his unique voice tone and style - it's hypnotic and engaging.

More recently Rihanna has Drake featured on her single What's My Name and like reminiscing with an old flame, the first time I heard this song I felt such a comforting familiarity and sense of 'knowing'.

I like everything about it. The single cover : the 70's-esque soft focus. Ri Ri's hair, the flowers in it...

I love whoever styled Rihanna - her ensemble is just so perfect. I can see my fashionista blogger girlfriend Andrea aka Strrapped, in a get-up just like this... In fact am gonna email her the pic
The production of the song is sparse, without being empty, decisive without being intrusive, strong without losing the sensuality... and boy, the lyrics are sexy indeed. My favourite lyric exerpts :

DRAKE :

...good weed, white wine
I come alive in the night time
okay, come away we go
only thing we have on is the radio...

Ri-Ri :

...you got that something that keeps me so off balance
baby you’re a challenge, lets explore your talent...

Now check the MV for yourself

No comments: