It's all about me

Monday 6 September 2010

Pride & Prejudice


Time and time again we live the phrase "The truth hurts" whether we are the purveyor or recipient of said truth.

No matter how it is presented, the bitter truth will always initially cause pain and demand a defensive response which more often than not results in prejudice - the key is to step back, absorb what is being said and consider the bigger picture, the message.

" Truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable "

Real friendships survive the "truth tests" that life gives.

" It is more important to have friends than fans. Fans tell you what you want to hear. Friends tell you the truth "

" Falsehood is cowardice, the truth courage "

Personally, I have lost many a friend by allowing my defensive mechanism, called pride to cloud my ability to see the bigger picture. So I feel particularly blessed with long-lasting friendships and great friends who have been able to see the love in the truths I have shared with them.

" It is better to lose your pride with someone you love rather than lose that someone you love with your useless pride "

Such challenges have inspired two of my own phrases :

" There is no such tragedy as when pride obstructs us from the embrace of a friend's love "

" Pride is like tunnel vision as it prevents us from seeing the bigger picture "

No comments: